Government Affairs Associate
Founded in 2001, Charles Group Consulting (CGC) is a full-service government affairs consulting and issues management firm located in downtown Boston specializing in superior representation of government affairs needs; media relations, and creative government affairs program planning. CGC offers its clients exceptional policy analysis, strategic planning, government affairs representation, and programming designed to build long term relationships with policy makers and desired policy outcomes. CGC is particularly adept at providing disaffected groups and constituencies with a voice to have their issues heard and addressed.
Position Summary (full-time)
Charles Group Consulting seeks an energetic, organized, bright, resourceful, and capable individual to assist our firm in providing exceptional lobbying/consulting service to our clients and assist in the development of our growing business. The candidate should be highly motivated, a quick study, and have outstanding interpersonal skills. As a Government Affairs Associate, this individual will be responsible for assisting Senior Associate and Principal, and in engaging in all aspects of government affairs consulting, including lobbying, policy analysis, press relations, and business development, as well as conducting work to manage business operations.
Governmental Affairs Responsibilities
- Manage and assist with all aspects of clients' government affairs needs, including developing strategy, conducting policy analysis, drafting correspondence (fact sheets, testimony, position papers).
- Assist in scheduling appointments with legislators, staff, and other policymakers.
- Lobby policymakers on behalf of clients, as needed.
- Assist CGC with ongoing relationship building with both policymakers and other advocates.
- Plan and implement "Advocacy Days,” “Legislative Briefings,” and other government affairs programs for clients, including logistics and advance, preparation of materials, and scheduling of legislative meetings.
- Track legislation and budget items for clients.
- Manage press and media functions, including drafting of releases, media advisories, and the organizing of press events.
- Manage office/client communications and be available and responsive to client needs.
- Supervise interns and oversee their short and long term projects.
- Engage in developing new business; generate leads, draft and edit proposals for prospective new clients and assist in development of CGC marketing materials.
- Assist in managing company budget and analyze quarterly and annually.
- Maintain company accounting records, including administering monthly invoices to clients, and processing payments as they come into the office.
- Monitor work done on behalf of clients and create quarterly reports.
- Maintain & update website.
- Perform administrative duties, including ordering office supplies and troubleshooting office equipment.
- Masters or Law degree preferred, but not required.
- Highly positive and enthusiastic attitude.
- Understanding of Massachusetts Legislature and state government, including understanding of legislative and state budget process.
- Some developed relationships with policymakers and their staff.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent project management and planning skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working in either community-based, public policy, or political setting.
- Experience working with legislators and/or members of the media.
- Computer literate – familiarity with updating a web site, and Microsoft Office Suite a plus.
- Commitment to social justice and/or progressive issues and policy.
- Ability to multitask and work under high demand at times.
- Willingness to work long hours, or outside of normal business hours as needed.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
The position also offers generous benefits, including health and dental, retirement plan, profit sharing, significant opportunities for growth, and the opportunity to work with our clients on some of the most rewarding issues possible.
*** To apply please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Kate Saville Worrall at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, February 3rd. ***