POSTED Jan 18 2018
Communications Strategist / Social Media
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston
This position supports the Bank's activities in public relations (with an emphasis on social media), organizational communications, media relations, and government relations. The Communications Strategist uses a variety of communications skills, competencies, and tools to support efforts to inform and educate various audiences about the work of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston and advance its reputation for public service, and to keep Bank employees informed and engaged. He or she works closely with members of the Communications team to provide tactical communications assistance to many parties in the Bank.
1. Develop relationships with subject matter experts from around the Bank in order to proactively identify and share the organization’s compelling ‘stories’ via the Boston Fed’s website, intranet, and social media channels.
2. Manage day-to-day social media activity. Stay abreast of new social engagement strategies, channels, and tools – and advise communications strategists and department leadership on emerging social trends.
3. Work with stakeholders to determine proactive communications strategy to drive media coverage of Boston Fed research and initiatives.
4. Propose creative solutions to client’s communications challenges for range of internal (within the Bank and the Federal Reserve System) and external (media, government, and members of the public) audiences, ensuring alignment with the Bank’s strategic goals and objectives. Coordinate with Corporate
Communications colleagues as needed to achieve the most comprehensive results possible.
Perform other duties as assigned.
The Communications Strategist works closely with members of the Communications department. This position is not required to directly supervise others.
Knowledge and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree, ideally with a major in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or Political Science. (Possessing journalistic instincts, as well as a keen interest in financial services, economics, and financial matters, a plus.)
• 3-5 years of related job or internship experience.
• Excellent organizational, communication (both oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated experience contributing to successful social media campaigns.
• Demonstrated experience in media and government relations strongly preferred.
• Must be able to handle the demands of sensitive and sometimes urgent communications in a complex organization with calm, poise, and tact.
• Must be detail-oriented, able to be involved in and advance a variety of tasks simultaneously, and a problem solver.
• Must be able to work exceptionally well with colleagues and on teams, and when necessary to work and manage task load independently.
• Must have experience with Microsoft Office applications – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
• Experience with website content management tools strongly preferred.
All employees who are assigned to this position will be subject to credit, FBI fingerprint/ criminal background and Patriot Act/ Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) watch list checks at least once every five years. Successful internal posting candidates will also be subject to credit re-screening before transferring.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work required of this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or skills associated with this position or the personnel so classified. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of this position, management reserves the right to revise this or any job description at its discretion at any time.