Director of Legislative and Public Affairs
POSTED Dec 13 2016
Home Care Alliance of Massachusetts, Inc.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required; Masters preferred in public administration or related field
- 2 or more years’ experience in government affairs
- Ability to manage and motivate volunteers
- Experience working with legislators and government officials and/or media
- Practical knowledge of policy and legislative issues in the field of home health care
- Excellent English written and verbal skills to communicate complex concepts
- Computer proficiency
Leads the legislative and media relations functions of the Alliance. In consultation with the executive director, plans and executes a comprehensive, proactive government affairs strategy that advances the Alliance’s mission and goals with state and federal elected officials.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the following essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- In collaboration with the executive director, board, committees, and other staff, develops and manages Alliance strategy for strengthening relationships with elected officials and government agencies and increasing their understanding of and support for home care.
- Monitors state and federal legislative activities which affect the membership, prepares recommendations for the executive director, and reports for the board and membership.
- Broadens members’ awareness of political and policy matters and promotes grassroots political involvement through newsletters, calls-to-action, social media and presentations at membership meetings or other speaking opportunities.
- Develops a wide range of materials in support of the Alliance’ government relations agenda, such as testimony, talking points, fact sheets, reports, legislative summaries, letters, and press releases.
- Establishes strong relationships with key legislators and their staffs to conducts the Alliance's state lobbying activities. Coordinates the work of contract lobbyists.
- Maintains liaison with members of the Massachusetts Congressional delegation.
- Collaborates with representatives of other organizations to advance shared public policy priorities at both the state and national level.
- Develops and implements the Alliance's media and community relations activities.
- Serves as staff liaison to Alliance committees and work groups as assigned.
- Represents the Alliance and industry on advisory boards, committees, etc., to advance the Alliance’s public policy priorities, as assigned.
- Assists with management of and fundraising for the Home Care PAC.
- Performs other miscellaneous related duties as required.
Reports to the executive director. Communicates and collaborates regularly with lobbyist, board and committees, and other staff members.
Has regular contact with legislators and their staffs, with other lobbyists, and with media representatives. Communicates frequently with members both in writing and via telephone. Frequent in-state travel required; occasional out-of-state travel.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com by December 31, 2016.