POSTED Nov 27 2017
LOCUS: Responsible Real Estate Developers and Investors, a national coalition of forwardthinking real estate developers and investors based in Washington, D.C., seeks an experienced Massachusetts-based project manager to organize and build a state-wide network and voice of real estate developers and investors who advocate for policies to support the development of sustainable, walkable urban development in Massachusetts.
As a member of the LOCUS team, the state director will lead the state implementation of a multi-year, member-driven advocacy and education campaign, including technical assistance, outreach, network building, grant administration, and deal-making.
The individual will be based in Massachusetts, and is responsible for developing partnerships, attracting and engaging new members across the real estate and smart growth sectors, and interfacing with community members, the local media, organization decision-makers, and government officials. The individual will also be responsible for leading a state-wide technical assistance program to assist a select number of walkable urban places to develop a placed based, private sector led strategy to manage it’s attainable housing and social equity outcomes.
The individual will be mission-driven and proactive, have the ability to work well with people and possess a deep understanding of and desire to create a new movement of purpose-driven real estate developers dedicated to inclusive communities in Massachusetts. In addition to being proficient in state real estate and housing policy analysis, community engagement and technical assistance, the ideal candidate will be an excellent manager, writer, creative thinker, resourceful problem solver and a highly productive worker. This position reports to the LOCUS Director based in Washington, DC.
• Work with the project team, including a DC-based project manager, to develop and successfully implement the program goals;
• Manage project timelines and effective completion of project deliverables, while ensuring timely reporting to DC office and partners.
• Grow and manage a network of real estate developers and investors in Massachusetts.
• Manage the implementation and ongoing meetings of the LOCUS Massachusetts, including identifying advocacy issues for the state and local governments.
• Lead implementation of community, state and partner events, activities, meetings briefings, and webinars.
• Organize networking and recruiting events, press conferences and meetings with elected officials.
• Advance statewide goals using a variety of proven research, advocacy and program implementation techniques, and
• Develop technical assistance program designed to assist local communities to develop to creating a place based, private –community sector led management organization to manage the sustainable, equitable redevelopment of walkable urban places.
The ideal candidate for this position is a self-motivated and detail-oriented person with excellent communication, writing, research and organizing skills, and will possess many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, competencies and personal qualities:
• Undergraduate degree in a relevant area and minimum of 5-7 years in a related field or a Graduate degree in a relevant area and minimum of 3-5 years in a related field.
• Strong Expertise in community organizing strategy and tactics, as well as, non-partisan issue based organizing; specific skills should include grass-tops and grassroots activism.
• Strong interpersonal and stakeholder relation skills with an ability to identify new strategic partnership and/or client opportunities.
• Deep understanding of real estate, housing and smart growth issues in Massachusetts.
• Solid interpersonal skills and ability to operate confidentially.
• Exemplary time management skills; ability to work under pressure and meet urgent deadlines without compromising the quality of the finished product.
Other requirements include:
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships with grasstops – leaders in the private sector, elected officials and directors of community organizations;
• Experience with advocacy, at either the federal or state levels, to secure policy changes;
• Capacity and willingness to travel frequently;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to prioritize assignments and demonstrate a high degree of initiative;
• A working understanding of Smart Growth America and LOCUS structure, policy, procedures and goals;
• Flexibility to work beyond regular core business hours as needed;
• Strong commitment to diversity and equity;
• Contribute to the development of grant proposal; and
• Contribute to LOCUS’s blog/submit public opinions editorials on behalf of the organization.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Smart Growth America. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law. How to Apply Please send a resume, cover letter summarizing your relevant skills and experience, and a short writing sample to email@example.com with “LOCUS State Director – Massachusetts” in the subject line. Questions may also be directed to the same e-mail address. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled and early submissions are strongly encouraged.
### LOCUS: Responsible Real Estate Developers and Investors is Smart Growth America’s national coalition of real estate developers and investors who advocate for sustainable, walkable development in America’s metropolitan areas. For additional information visit www.locusdevelopers.org. LOCUS: Responsible Real Estate Developers and Investors is seeking a talented and motivated individual to organize smart growth real estate developers in Massachusetts.