POSTED May 03 2017
Massachusetts Sierra Club
Job Title: Boston Organizer
Reports To: Chapter Director
Context: As the biggest city in Massachusetts and even New England, Boston carries disproportionate impact. The chapter is more likely to achieve its clean energy and environmental goals if Boston has taken steps to do so first. One example is Ready for 100 – if Boston joins this campaign it makes it easier to get other communities to do so.
Scope: The Boston Organizer creates and carries out clean energy and/or environmental campaigns within the City of Boston.
- Plans, develops and implements campaign strategies for clean energy and/or environmental campaigns within the City of Boston.
- Recruits and trains volunteers to facilitate grassroots involvement to achieve campaign ends.
- Builds and maintains relationships with Sierra Club Boston members and supporters, Boston local and state level elected officials, other advocacy groups, and relevant stakeholders.
- Makes presentations to community, political, and governmental bodies regarding clean energy and environmental campaign efforts. Writes press releases, newsletters, flyers, etc. to keep Club membership and the general public informed.
- Advocates the Sierra Club position on proposed legislation involving clean energy programs; informs and communicates with elected officials, business leaders, governmental agencies, and other non‑profit organizations.
- Participates in task forces, committees, coalitions, etc. representing the Club's objective or mission.
- Produces written reports for funders as needed.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills:
- BA/BS degree in Environmental Studies, Political Science or a closely related field.
- 1-2 years’ experience organizing campaigns - environmental experience a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 5 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) organization. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
Sierra Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.