POSTED Oct 20 2017
NAIOP Massachusetts, The Commercial Real Estate Development Association, represents the interests of companies involved with the development, ownership, management and financing of office, research & development, industrial, mixed use, retail, multifamily, and lab space in Massachusetts. Part of an international commercial real estate trade association, the Massachusetts chapter provides outstanding education and networking opportunities and advances the interests of the industry through its government affairs work.
NAIOP Massachusetts seeks a Government Affairs Associate to contribute to the organization’s advocacy efforts. The position would report to NAIOP’s Senior Vice President of Government Affairs.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Identify and track legislation affecting commercial real estate industry.
• Draft testimony for legislative hearings and develop issue position papers (with input from Government Affairs team and NAIOP members).
• Attend government affairs committee meetings and track feedback from members on key issues.
• Assist in strengthening relationships with legislative and regulatory contacts.
• Attend political fundraisers on behalf of NAIOP, as needed.
• Maintain and strengthen government affairs section of web site.
• Work with contacts at think tanks and/or universities on development of white papers and research studies.
• Attend legislative and regulatory hearings, as needed.
• Work with Communications Director on newsletter, association materials, social media strategy, and building relationships with key publications and reporters.
• Coordinate event administration and logistics.
Requirements of Position
• BA/BS in Political Science, Public Policy, Public Affairs or related field preferred
• 3 – 5 years of experience in government/public affairs format for professional or trade association, legislative or regulatory work, or public affairs consulting.
• Ability to work outside of typical 9-5 schedule (early morning and evening events as needed).
• Working knowledge of the Massachusetts legislative and political systems
• Strong speaking, writing, and presentation skills.
Salary commensurate with experience. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Tamara Small, Senior Vice President of Government Affairs, NAIOP Massachusetts (email@example.com) no later than November 15, 2017.