POSTED Jan 11 2017
Organization: Progressive Massachusetts
Position: Executive Director
About the Organization: Progressive Massachusetts (PM) works to move MA toward a future where the values of equal opportunity, social and economic justice, consumer and environmental protection, health care as a right, equal access to quality public services, respect for all residents, and accountable and transparent government are made a top priority. We organize activists across the state to win progressive public policy campaigns, help elect and support progressive candidates for public office who are committed to making a difference on these issues, and hold elected officials accountable to progressive positions and values.
Job Summary: PM is seeking a director to begin work in early 2017. The director should be a leader committed to transformational and progressive social change. She or he will lead PM and its body of volunteer organizers and activists from across MA. In close collaboration with the Progressive Mass Board, local chapters and their leaders, the director is responsible for: developing and carrying out a statewide program plan; developing and nurturing existing and new members and chapters; fundraising; administrative operations; coordinating with allied organizations, coalitions and campaigns; and managing staff. The director is responsible for the daily operations of the organization, and reports to the Progressive Mass Board.
- Build and maintain the grassroots organizing efforts of Progressive Massachusetts, through support for and collaboration with volunteer leaders and members and through the development of local chapters.
- Oversee the fundraising program for PM, including dues-paying member development. The ED is responsible for assuring that the full organizational budget is raised.
- Oversee the administrative operations of Progressive Massachusetts, including finances, legal compliance, and maintenance of the website, digital infrastructure, and databases.
- Work with the board, members and chapters to develop and refine PM’s statewide strategy and priorities.
- Advance the Progressive Mass program, including coordinating PM’s priority issue advocacy and electoral campaigns.
- Coordinate PM’s participation in statewide coalitions, working closely with allied groups and organizations (for example, Raise Up Massachusetts).
- Hire and manage staff.
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive values, issues, and campaigns.
- Experience in community organizing, including member recruitment, developing leaders and organizing grassroots campaigns.
- Experience in major donor, grassroots, union, and digital fundraising.
- Field experience in electoral campaigns.
- Grassroots issue advocacy campaign experience.
- Experience in coalition-building, including facilitation of group process and engaging organizations.
- Experience working with individuals with a wide range of personal and political experience.
- Knowledge of nonprofit management work with a board of directors, accounting, and internal operations.
- Supervision and management experience.
- Ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively.
- Ability to respond to rapidly changing circumstances.
- Strong written communications skills and experience with Google documents and Microsoft Office.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation: Salary range is $47,500 to $60,000 with three weeks paid vacation and 100% health care premium.
To Apply: Submit resume & cover letter to email@example.com.