POSTED Jan 25 2018
Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy
Position Title: Marketing and Community Affairs Manager
The non-profit Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy is seeking a highly motivated and reliable individual for a full-time position as Marketing & Community Affairs Manager. Working with the Conservancy’s senior staff and the Creative Services Manager, this position plans, directs and implements the Greenway Conservancy’s media relations, marketing/communications initiatives, and community/government affairs. This is an opportunity to join a young, dynamic organization and help tell the stories of The Greenway’s award-winning contemporary art, organic landcare, and other innovative offerings.
● Marketing and Communication
o Ensure general institutional media coverage that drives interest and engagement in The Greenway and its activities. Pitch, pursue, and secure local, regional, and national electronic and print media (radio, television, newspaper, magazine, and online) coverage of Greenway offerings. Oversee the writing and distribution of press releases. Serve as liaison and spokesperson, with the Executive Director, for press and tourism organizations.
o Contribute to and lead implementation of a Communications Strategy being developed as part of a new five-year business plan.
▪ Oversee development, implementation, and management of marketing programs, including evaluation of marketing materials’ performance.
▪ Help to lead revamp of the Conservancy’s website.
▪ Develop and oversee implementation of small-budget campaigns, mostly dedicated to the Greenway Carousel and other revenue-generating opportunities.
▪ Develop and deepen relationship for media sponsorship and donated ad space. Recommend and implement strategies for in-park marketing, such as temporary and permanent banners and signage.
o Draft communications materials such as weekly eNews, blog posts and annual report.
o Manage Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts and facilitate online communities.
● Community and Government Affairs
o Serve as a liaison to State and City officials. Work with Executive Director to develop the Conservancy’s governmental priorities and continue direct relationship building.
o Regularly attend community meetings (e.g., NEWRA, NEWNC, Wharf District Council, Chinatown Safety Committee).
o Proactively develop and deepen connections to diverse communities, expanding relationships beyond adjacent neighborhoods.
o Respond to public inquiries. Coordinate with the Conservancy’s Park Rangers on public messaging.
Skills and Qualifications
This position requires skills ranging from relationship-building to planning and execution.
● B.A. minimum, preferably in related field.
● Minimum 4 years relevant work experience, including experience both with
marketing/communications and with Massachusetts government/community affairs.
● Superior demonstrated skills
○ in ensuring results within complex and dynamic circumstances;
○ oral and written communications;
○ relationship building.
● Ability to anticipate issues, develop solutions, and manage resolution.
● Results-oriented, collaborative, detail-oriented, positive, calm under pressure.
● Passionate about The Greenway.
● Experience with nonprofits, public or quasi- public agency a plus.
● Experience with graphic design, photography, or video production a plus.
● Work hours are generally Monday through Friday but will also be required to attend relevant meetings and gatherings on evenings and occasional weekends.
● Work will generally take place in the Conservancy offices, but the position will require some time in the parks.
● Please email a one-page cover letter, a resume, and 3 references to email@example.com with subject line “Marketing & Community Affairs Manager application.” Each file name should include applicant’s last name.
● No phone calls, please.
About The Greenway and the Conservancy
The Rose Kennedy Greenway, a roof garden atop a highway tunnel, is a contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The non-profit Greenway Conservancy maintains, programs, finances, and improves the 1.5-mile Greenway on behalf of the public. The Greenway welcomes 1.4 million trackable visitors annually for The Greenway Carousel, events, Wi-Fi, beer garden, and Mobile Eats food trucks, plus millions more visitors who enjoyed the fountains, plazas, and gardens. The Conservancy has won numerous awards, including for our organic landscape care and park programming.
RFKGC is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law.