POSTED Sep 27 2017
Located in downtown Lowell, Massachusetts, UTEC's mission is to ignite and nurture the ambition of our most disconnected young people to trade violence and poverty for social and economic success. UTEC’s nationally recognized model begins with intensive street outreach to reach young adults ages 17 to 25 who are gang or criminally involved “where they are.” Each participant receives 2 - 3 years of intensive support services, including workforce training through our social enterprises and preparation for a high school credential through onsite HiSET (GED) classes. Social justice and civic engagement are embedded throughout, with special emphasis in our organizing and policymaking work, locally and statewide. UTEC’s primary outcomes are: reduced recidivism, increased employability, and educational attainment.
More at www.utec-lowell.org
The Chief Program Officer (CPO) will serve as a critical member of the senior leadership management team, providing oversight of our core program model including outreach, workforce development, education and case managment. In collaboration with the Executive Director, the CPO will articulate and implement the strategic vision and leadership of the organization; champion performance measurement and provide ongoing feedback to program staff; work closely with the development team to support fundraising activities and report - writing/contract management as needed; provide mentoring, guidance, supervision, and professional development to all program staff.
The CPO will collaborate with the Chief Finance Officer to ensure a smooth relationship between youth programs and the social enterprises. Based on the candidate’s experience, the CPO may oversee UTEC’s staff professional development plan and two - generation work, which includes an early childhood education program.
The Chief Program Officer must truly embody our passion for working with youth that many describe as the most difficult to engage — never letting our team settle and refusing to ever give up on our young people. We aim to hire someone who is committed to advancing racial equity in our overall work and has the cultural competency to help UTEC in this endeavor.
Above all else, the Chief Program Officer will act as a lead ambassador for UTEC’s culture, demonstrating a personal commitment to the organization’s values and imparting them to others, both within and outside the organization with high energy, positivity and intentionality.
Leadership, Staff Management and Organizational Strategy
- In coordination with the Executive Director and leadership team, play a key role in the overall development, strategic planning, service delivery, and management of program operations.
- Directly supervise 6 program leaders; working closely with senior program staff to build their skills and confidence so that they can mentor, encourage, and motivate staff. Deploy resources efficiently and effectively toward organizational goals, working with staff to balance workload and effort, and provide regular feedback so that staff can continuously improve their supervision and mentoring skills.
- Develop a team-based environment to motivate and inspire staff to work collaboratively toward vision and goal, by clearly communicating organizational vision, implementing staff development plans and performance measurements, providing leadership development, professional development, and mentoring.
- Establish departmental and staff goals and objectives and track results against these goals as well as accountability protocols.
- Participate in the budget development process and maintain a high level of fiscal responsibility.
- Support fund development through assistance in proposal/grant writing and contract management.
- Play an active role in strengthening and maintaining the management and governance culture and practices that reflects the organization’s core values.
- Support the creation and implementation of UTEC’s upcoming 3 year growth plan as well as develop and implement new initiatives that reflect the organization’s mission.
Program Oversight and Evaluation
- Oversee the coordination, integration, and delivery of all program operations, promoting collaborative relationships between program areas and ensuring that the expectations of funders, partners, constituents, and other stakeholders are consistently met.
- Partner with development staff to respond to requests for proposals and applications.
- Work closely with the Chief Finance Officer and finance department to budget and monitor programmatic operations to ensure sound fiscal and system management.
- Ensure the delivery of qualitative and quantitative goals and outcomes of programs and services.
- Coordinate and analyze the appropriate data to inform the programmatic and operational decision making process.
- Determine staffing plans to achieve program goals and objectives and participate in hiring decisions for new program staff.
- Deepen existing and create new performance and outcome measures that are core to UTEC’s mission.
- Develop an assessment protocol to determine the feasibility and sustainability of programs as well as lead to more effective and efficient service delivery.
- Analyze and assess programs based on data collected and implement corrective measures if required.
- A minimum of 6-7 years of professional experience overseeing programs at an organization serving diverse youth, or relevant management experiences.
- Demonstrated experience managing a high-performing team in a multi-tiered structure to include professional development and mentorship.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of program planning, organizational structure, budgeting, and administrative operations.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and compile complex data for reporting purposes.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to represent the organization across a wide range of stakeholders and constituencies.
- Strong relationship builder with the ability to find common ground, build consensus and strengthen collaboration among diverse internal stakeholders.
- Strong community awareness and astuteness.
- Ability to successfully navigate in a fast-paced, outcomes- driven and entrepreneurial environment.
- High-energy and positive attitude with a willingness to work within ambiguity at times.
- Ability to find the humor in all things.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Compensation : Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include 3 weeks vacation, paid holidays and sick/personal time, health and dental (partly subsidized).
In one PDF document, please send both your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Chief Program Officer” in the subject line. No calls, please. Not all applications will receive responses.